Wednesday, May 16, 2012

UWA 2012 Julia Tutwiler Elementary Educator of the Year


I am working on my EdS degree from the University of West Alabama. In April I was named the UWA Julia Tutwiler Elementary Educator of the Year! What a blessing that was! Because the university is so far from my home, the dean of the college of education reserved a room on campus for my husband and me. On the day of departure we had the busiest day ever and did not get started on the three hour drive until 8:30 p.m. We had only driven about 20 miles when I started to feel "green." Knowing that I get car sick EASILY, I asked my husband to stop and let me get some fresh air. The wave of nausea passed so I jumped back in the car. We went less than half a block when the wave came back with a vengence. I was so sick and we kept having to stop suddenly which put us further behind on our journey. Finally I got still enough that I went to sleep and we drove on to the university. We arrived on campus at 12:30 a.m. The door had a punch code and I was told that a key to my room would be left on the table just inside the door. Tired and sleepy we quickly gathered our bags, headed into the McConnell House, only to find no key! Out of desperation and with the nausea quickly approaching again, we headed back down the road to a "roach motel" that we had seen on the drive in. No luck. No one would answer the night call. We headed to a similar hotel with the same results. By this time I was really sick again......and panicked that I would have to sleep in the car. I quickly searched online (thank goodness for iPhones) and found a great hotel only 3 miles from the university. The sympathic clerk, a college student, upgraded our room and only charged half price. At 1:45 a.m. we finally got in bed. I slept like a rock all night...no sickness. I woke the next morning and started getting ready for my big day when it hits again! My sweet husband stopped for Dramamine and we headed on to the luncheon. I made it through the entire affair, even ate lunch, without bouts of nausea. On the drive home, you got it....sick again. )o:

8 comments:

Mrs. Tolbert said...

So sorry that you got sick!
~Jada
Daisy Days for Learning

Miss Sara said...

hey! I just gave you the One Lovely Blog Award! Come by to check it out! I am also your newest follower!


Miss Elementary

Miss Squirrels said...

Hi Diane! Nice to meet you:)
My oldest son is heading leaving 5th and headed over to the middle school this year- I'll have to come over and pick your brain about how to help him :)
I love your polka dots!
Staci

Going Nutty!

misssquirrels@yahoo.com

Jess said...

First of all... Congrats on your Award!!! That's a blessing! Secondly... I can definitely picture you riding around empty ol' Livingston, AL looking for a "decent" place to stay (I am from AL also!). I hope you finally overcame your sickness, bless your heart.

Im your newest follower! Maybe you can follow me too! Im new to the blogging world and just love when new blog neighbors stop by.

http://mrsjwalk.blogspot.com/

Jess

Lori said...

Congrats on your award!! So sorry that the trip to accept it was so rough. Thank you for following my blog so that I could find your cute blog!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Lorena said...

Congratulation! That is a wonderful honor!

Lorena
Little Treasures

Think, Wonder, and Teach said...

CONGRATS!! How exciting and even better that you joined the blogging world. I am a new stalker. =) I love that blue bonny came to the school to honor you. How fun is that!!? Can't wait to read more of your adventures.

Misty
Think, Wonder, & Teach

Mrs. Franks said...

Hey everyone....thanks for your kind words! I am feeling much better. However, a couple of weeks later my husband got the virus and he wound up hospitalized for three days! The doctor called it "wicked."

Post a Comment

Enchanted Tales of Elementary School

Thank you for stopping by! I welcome and appreciate all comments and advice you leave for me! Love, Diane Franks